Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie: Chocolate Truffle Tartlets





Time for the second recipe on Tuesdays with Dorie. This week we baked chocolate truffle tarts and our hosts are awhiskandaspoon, spikebakes, good eats n sweet treats, and cookbookhabit.

First I had to make the chocolate tart dough. I was glad to see there were directions for making the dough by hand, not just in a food processor. The directions said to make it on a smooth, preferably cold surface, so I made it right on the granite counter top. It was extremely messy but ultimately came together ok and cleaned up easily enough. I probably should have added a bit more ice water since it was still very crumbly when I wrapped it in plastic, but I thought it would become more cohesive after a chill.


Two days later I was ready to bake the tarts. I bought some mini tart pans just for this and I think they were 3 inches. When I rolled the dough out I had enough for 7 pans plus a bit left over. The dough was still crumbly, so I just rolled each piece into a ball, tried to roll it out flat, and then pressed it into the pan, patching as necessary. I found it a little difficult to press the dough into the pans with the bottoms out, but I just tried not to press too hard so the dough wouldn't push through the bottoms. I baked them and they set them aside to cool while I made the filling.

Tart shells ready for the oven.

The directions for the filling were pretty straight forward. The only thing I had a question about was how long to beat the eggs & sugar. Beating the yolk until they "form a slowly dissolving ribbon when the beater is lifted" doesn't really cut it for me as far as instructions are concerned. I had to stop a check a few times before I got to what I thought was the right consistency. 
I used ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips, callebaut white chocolate chunks (from the bulk section of the "health foods" store) and chopped Hershey's bars for the milk chocolate. The grocery store surprisingly didn't have any milk chocolate in the baking isle so I grabbed those Hershey's bars at the checkout. I used Nonna's biscotti and they were large so I used three and still thought maybe it was too much.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, and biscotti waiting to be mixed into the tart filling.

After the filling ingredients were all mixed, I used a 1/4 cup measure to scoop into the tart shells. I had a little left over so I baked the rest in a small dish. I baked them for about 18 minutes. They didn't look completely dry on top but I didn't want to overbake them. I had read from others that these were brownie-like, so I thought better to be under done than over. 
Finished tartlet
These came out really well. My husband and I split one, topped with a bit of whipped cream. Definitely rich and yummy! 
Chunks of white chocolate in the middle


3 comments:

  1. Your tart looks great! I had trouble finding white chocolate in the chocolate bar aisle so I had to buy a big bag in the baking aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Our tart photos looks very similar, right down to the plates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks nice and gooey in the middle - yum.
    For some reason, I had a couple of white chocolate bars in my pantry - I am glad I didn't have to search them out!

    ReplyDelete