Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie: Rugelach

I'm going to make this short tonight since I'm suffering from a terrible cold.
I have never even thought about making rugelach before and even looking at this recipe, it didn't seem like something I would like since I generally don't care for things with dried fruits. I decided to make the lekvar using the recipe in the book. Since the book said the prune would make 1 cup and apricot would make 3/4 cup, I made them both, and like others, ended up with WAY more than I needed. I am not familiar with lekvar but I think this stuff tastes pretty good.
I used the dried apricots and prunes from Trader Joe's

Finished apricot and prune lekvar. 
This rugelach had a lot of steps so I made the lekvar and the dough a couple days in advance. I rolled out the dough as instructed and filled it. I didn't measure the lekvar, just covered the dough. Then added the cinnamon-sugar, nuts, and chopped dried fruit. I used the remaining prunes and apricots and also the dried cherry/berry mix from Trader Joe's. I know now that I should have chopped the fruit up smaller because the filling was way too thick for me to roll up easily. I ended up with more of a filled roll than a pinwheel. I rolled     as best as I could and stuck them in the fridge.
The next evening I prepared to cut and bake my rugelach. They were messy to cut as all the filling tried to seep out. I ended up with about 50 pieces in total, baked in two batches. I had a little filling come out as they baked but not too bad, fortunately. 
After they cooled a bit I tasted them and they are yummy! I like both the apricot and the prune--I really couldn't choose one over the other. These are rich and buttery, but addictive. I put most of them in the freezer to keep us from eating so many.
Finished rugelach. Yum!


  1. Those look amazing! I'm sure the filling would be great on toast.

  2. It looks like they came out great. Hope you are feeling better.