Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie: Pecan Sticky Buns


I had to start this post with a picture to show how amazing these sticky buns are. Yum! 
These are quite a bit of work but definitely worth it. I know I haven't made too many recipes from this cookbook yet but these were my favorite so far. 
Please visit our hosts to view the full recipe:  Eat Drink Man Woman Dogs Cat and Nicole of Cookies on Friday.

This first step in this recipe is to make the brioche dough. Once again, I am thankful for my KitchenAid stand mixer. Some bakers made this dough by hand but I cannot imagine having to do all that kneading! It took 15 minutes in my mixer and she was emitting a burning smell but fortunately did not overheat. The brioche recipe makes enough for two batches so I put half in the freezer. 

The next day I tackled the rolling part. I am lacking in counter space in my kitchen so tasks like rolling out dough are always challenging, but I managed. I must say I found the instructions in the book to be extremely vague for someone who is not an experienced baker. I am so glad I watched the clips from the episode on youtube because I would have completed folded the dough wrong. I would always recommend watching a video if it is available! I put my pecan "logs" in the freezer to chill.

After chilling, I cut them into pieces for baking. The recipe recommends 7 rolls per log but I cut mine into 9 pieces, and I think they could have been even smaller, however, you would need to have more prepared pans to bake them in. Once in the pan, the rolls have to rise again, then they can (finally) be baked. 
Ready for the 2nd rise
 I really hate having to wait for my treats so this was difficult since it was a multi-day process and I was so excited to see the results. These are SO DELICIOUS and worth the wait. I managed to share one with my friend and she loved it so much she immediately asked for the recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment